Stately castles and fortifications (still accessible today) which bear witness to the adventures of our ancestors.
Wimmis Castle and Fortress
The light buildings of the fortress, castle and church at Wimmis gleam in the landscape all around and make the castle’s original function as barrier to the Simme Valley between the Niesen, Burgfluh and Simmenfluh seem obvious.
It is assumed that the church and castle were built in the 9th century. Initially Baron Rudolf of Strättligen was proclaimed „Dominus de Windemis“. Towards the end of the 13th century the Weissenburger lords ruled the castle and the area. The fortress was extended to a castle in the 17th century. From the south entrance a visitor must walk up 155 steps to reach the fortress. Today the district court of Frutigen and the Niedersimmen Valley is housed in the castle.
To the guided tours....
Hondrich Fortification – top secret commando post Heinrich
The Hondrich fortification in the upper part of the Hondrich hill near Spiez was dug out in the years 1941 – 1942. The facility includes a 300m long main gallery, four look out stands, eleven radio niches and two entrances, each with a small opening for close combat and also offices and accommodation.
To the guided tours…
Artillery Fortification Faulensee - Camouflaged Barns
This artillery fortification was built in the 2nd World War and was put into operation in 1943. The artillery bunkers were disguised as barns and equipped with four 10.5cm guns. The artillery fortification is of national historic importance.
To the guided tours...
Infantry Bunker Fischbalmen Beatenbucht – an experience for all ages
The infantry bunker Fischbalmen was built in 1941/42 by civilian companies. It was one of the defence positions of the Swiss Military and remained in the defence strategy until the 1990’s. The assignment of the bunker was to stop the enemy and prevent them advancing into the Alps, an area which the Swiss Army would retreat to. The crew of the bunker were able to defend the road block on the lakeside by means of anti-tank weapons. The post was regularly manned with troops until 1994. It is easily accessible by boat, bus or on foot from the Pilgrim’s Way.
To the guided tours...